Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Etude 12, even more continued

Stuff! This goes right at the end of the previous post. I think Abenath needs a better name that doesn't start with an "A", if only to make it easier to do AutoComplete.

"Yes?" asked the stranger.
"Um, nothing. I just, um, wanted to remind my companion that we still have a very long way to go and shouldn't waste our time or yours."
"But I have not had visitors in a very long time. And I'm certain that both of you need a chance to rest and recuperate from the reaver assault."
"But --" Armand shook himself mentally. "By what name should we call you?"
The stranger smiled. Armand thought his teeth glittered oddly in the wan winter light. "Call me Abenath, and I am at your service." He bowed to Sarah. "And might I have the pleasure of knowing your names?"
Sarah blushed a little bit at the bow. Armand wanted to kick her again, harder. "Um, you can call me Sarah. And my friend is Armand. We're searching for our true names."
"Ahh, and that is why you need to consult the Eyes. A worthy cause, indeed. But the two of you seem somewhat ill-prepared for the ordeal. Perhaps I can be of assistance?"
"Oh, of course! We need a lot of help." Sarah giggled, just a little. Armand felt the urge to kick Sarah grow into an urge to strangle her. Why is she telling this guy everything? We don't know anything about him! He could be lying through his teeth!
"Well then, if you would follow me, I can take you to my humble abode. I do not often have guests, but I do have enough room to accomodate both of you." And Abenath began to lead the way through the forest.

...

Abenath's home was beside a large cave that was continually dripping with water. "That's not plain water in the cave, you know. It's salt-water. And sometimes sighs and wails are heard within the cave, which is how it gets its name." He stopped to open the door of the hut, which had jammed. He kicked it, and it burst open. "Here we are. Modest, but more than adequate." The inside of the hut looked, strangely, as if it was larger than the hut was outside. It was rather cozily appointed, with rugs on the stone floor and lamps burning merrily on the tables and walls. The flames of the lamps were not orange, but a ghostly-looking pale blue. At one end was a large fireplace; this roared with warm, yellow-orange flames. In the center was a table with an arrangement of flowers on it. To Armand, something looked subtly wrong about the flowers, but he couldn't put his finger on why. Abenath ushered both of them inside, then shut the door behind them.
"Come, let me make you something to eat. You must both be quite hungry."
"Oh, yes. I think we missed lunch because of the reavers."
Armand just glared at Sarah. Or maybe she isn't worth kicking... He surreptitiously put a hand to the hilt of the Sword. It wasn't vibrating in warning, but there was a difference in its usually calming thrum. And, when he snuck a glance at it, it seemed to be glowing only faintly. I guess it's still low on energy from everything we've been through today. Meanwhile, Abenath had set up what looked like an English tea. There was a teapot -- clay, but brightly painted with bold flowers -- and cups, and bread, butter and jam.
"Come, come. The bread is fresh-baked today. I have to do it myself, you know. No-one else around here to help me with it."
"That looks really good!" Said Sarah. She was soon seated at the table, piling her plate with slices of bread.
Armand was more hesitant. "Sir, I don't think we can repay you for this food."
"Oh, no matter, no matter. Don't worry about it. I'm always glad to help." Abenath handed a jar to Sarah. "Now this is honey from the flame bees. It's sweet and warm, and there's nothing else like it. That's my last jar. I got it from a friend who keeps flame bees, but he hasn't been by in a while. Probably can't find the place anymore." He grinned at Sarah. She smiled back, and dipped a knife into the jar and spread the honey on her bread. Outside the jar, it seemed to glow and sparkle with a red inner fire. She was lifting it to eat when Armand stopped her. "Wait."
"Huh?" She looked confused.
"I don't think it's safe to do that."
"Of course it's safe! Nothing here is poisoned." As if to prove his point, Abenath spread the honey onto a slice of bread and bit into it heartily. "See? Perfectly all right."
"No, it's not that. Mr. Abenath, we cannot afford to be in debt to you."
"I already told you, don't worry about it."
"Yeah," said Sarah. "He seems nice." And she bit into the bread with gusto. "Mmmm... This is really good!"
Armand stared at her. Then he turned to Abenath and said, "I'm sorry, but I'm not hungry after all."
Abenath shrugged. "It's up to you. But you don't know what you're missing." He turned his attention to Sarah. "Now, try some of this jelly... It's made from prickle berries. Usually they're too sour and bitter to eat, but there's a special process that turns them into the most delicious jelly." Sarah gleefully went through all the spreads that Abenath suggested to her. Armand wandered around the room, refusing to sit at the table. When he thought Abenath wasn't looking, he went back to the door and started examining it. The door on this side looked different than the door that Abenath had opened from the outside. It was made of a different material -- some black wood, polished finely, rather than the rough boards of the previous door. And it was latched, and there was a deadbolt drawn across it. He reached out to open the deadbolt, hoping to get away. There was a sudden spark, and he felt a warning vibration thrum through him, and then darkness reached out to claim him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home